Penetron® products are non-toxic and approved for use in potable water storage and delivery systems worldwide. They are designed to make concrete durable, watertight and significantly increase its resistance to chloride penetration and sulphate attack in aggressive environments.
Penetron® Admix is a chemical concrete additive providing total concrete protection to commercial, industrial, infrastructural and residential developments. Penetron® Admix improves the durability of concrete, thereby substantially lengthening the lifespan of structures. In addition, the Penetron® suite of Total Concrete Protection products is used for concrete waterproofing, protection and repair.
- Penetron Admix™ is supplied in fully recyclable 18kg bags
- Penetron® cementitious slurry, Penecrete Mortar and Peneplug are supplied in fully recyclable 22.7kg bags
20 years manufacturer warranty
Penetron Admix™ and Penetron® becomes an integral part of the concrete, forming a complete body of strength and durability. It should not be confused with a coating or membrane. Penetron Admix™ and Penetron® remains active for the life of the structure. It is a maintenance free solution.
Contact manufacturer for more information
- Product only supply
- Product system supply and installation by a Penetron approved applicator. Free technical and on-site support.
- Microfine Portland cement, 30-60%, 3150 kg/m³
- Ground Silica, 30-60%, 2650 kg/m³
- Proprietary activating agents (food grade non-hazardous materials), less than 5%, 1200 kg/m³ (sighted by Ecospecifier)
*For different applications of product amounts of constituents vary.
National & International Standards
Country of Origin
- Kariba Dam, Zimbabwe
- Cape Town International Airport
- New Green Point Stadium, Cape Town
- Radisson Hotel, Port Elizabeth
- No. 1 Protea Place, Johannesburg
- Intermodal Transport Hub, Bloemfontein
- 11 and 15 Alice Lane Sandton, Johannesburg
- Sandton City Extensions 2011, Johannesburg
- Ridge 5 Offices, Umhlanga
- Nettleton Ridge, Cape Town
- Victoria Country Club, Kwa-Zulu Natal
- Valpre Bottling Plant, Heidelberg
- The Podium at Menlyn, Pretoria
- Vodacom Innovation Centre, Johannesburg
- Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit
- Unilever Head Office, Kwa-Zulu Natal
- Engineering Building 3 University of Pretoria
- Walker Creek Offices, Pretoria
- Cell C Call Centre, Johannesburg
- Mutual Square Rosebank, Johannesburg
- Cocohaven Motor Dealership Menlyn, Pretoria
- Hatfield Studios, Pretoria
- Teraco Data Centre Phase 2 and Phase 3, Bredell, Johannesburg
- New Nedbank Parkade, Johannesburg
- Nelson Mandela children’s Hospital, Johannesburg
- Menlyn Mall Extensions (phase 2 and 3), Pretoria
- Mall of Africa, Johannesburg
- City Park Bridge (next to Mall of Africa), Johannesburg
- Mall of the South, Johannesburg
- Corner Main offices, Johannesburg
- Blueberry Office Park, Johannesburg
- AGRI Hub, Pretoria
- 92 Rivonia, Johannesburg
- The Capital on Park, Johannesburg
- The Club 2,3 & 5, Johannesburg
- AMKA Tanks & Sewer Pump Stations, Pretoria
- Loftus Park, Pretoria
- Klipgat Reservoir, North West
- St Davids School, Johannesburg
- Tshwane Mall, Pretoria
- Stoneridge Mall, Johannesburg
- Apartments on William, Pretoria
- Hertford Offices Block G, H & J, Johannesburg
- University of Pretoria Javett Arts Centre, Pretoria
- Abba Gold Abalone Farm, Hermanus, Western Cape
- Pran Boulevard, Kwa-Zulu Natal
- Sandringham Court, Kwa-Zulu Natal
- Midlands Liberty Mall, Kwa-Zulu Natal
- Linbro Park, Johannesburg
Product may be incorporated as an admixture in pre-mixed concrete, as a surface treatment during concrete placing or applied as a coating over pressure-cleaned existing concrete structures.
Topical Applications brochure
ECOSPECIFIER LIFE-CYCLE ASSESSMENT
INTEGRATED DESIGN AND POLICY ISSUES
Penetron Admix™ and Penetron® waterproofing increases the durability of concrete structures by becoming part of the concrete itself by forming a crystalline structure in the pores and the capillary tracts of the concrete thereby protecting it from moisture, seawater, wastewater, aggressive groundwater and many other aggressive chemical solutions. This enhances the life of the concrete structure and thus saves on maintenance and repairs, saving on costs and time. Penetron® can also be applied to old concrete structures or Penetron Admix™ be mixed into new concrete.
Penetron products do not adversely affect health in use and prevents the growth of toxic mold in enclosed spaces.
Penetron products are also safe to use with surfaces in contact with potable water as certified by NSF certification.
Penetron® contains trace amounts of natural metallic elements associated with cement. An evaluation of Penetron® shows on average that these trace amount of metals are ~30% lower compared to Portland cement.
The product contains crystalline silica. Crystalline silica exists in a variety of other common materials such as concrete, render, grout, tile, glass etc. This issue relates to the cutting, grinding and other occupational production activities of products containing crystalline silica and is not an issue as installed in buildings.
The IARC classifies crystalline silica inhaled in the form of quartz, from occupational sources, as carcinogenic to humans (Group 1). However, the Australian body, ASCC/NOHSC (National Occupational Health and Safety Commission) have not classified crystalline silica as a carcinogen.
Precautions for workers such as appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and adequate ventilation will mitigate the risk of potential issues noted: refer to MSDS, such that in accordance with an Ecospecifier Risk Assessment no further comment is required.
Product reduces humidity and eliminates dampness in building interiors.
Indoor Environment Quality
Product contains no added solvents minimising net VOC emissions compared to other waterproofing substances based on solvents, suspensions and polymers.
Research shows that an ICS (Integral Capillary Systems) waterproofing material increases strength in concrete from nuclear irradiation in comparison with materials that contain organic constituents and polymers (Concrete Waterproofing in Nuclear Industry, 2005).
Personal Protective Equipment including impervious gloves and safety glasses or goggles are to be used while mixing and in application of the product since the mixture (when the product is mixed with water) is corrosive.
Emissions – Product contains cement. Cement manufacturing plants emit combustion gases, wastewater, plant maintenance waste and research and laboratory wastes. The largest emission stream from cement plants is the particulate matter from kiln stacks; however this is commonly collected and returned into the processing plant (Environment Australia, 2006, Emission Estimation Technique Manual for Cement Manufacturing Version 2.0, p. 4).
Cement content comprises primarily limestone and other mineral based materials such as sand, clay and shale. The mining and processing of minerals can produce emissions to land from surface impoundments of liquids, solids, slurries and from storage facilities.
Physical – Physical terrestrial impacts from the process of extracting minerals and metals are a result of the removal and stockpiling of topsoil and sub-soil, and from removing overburden and inter-burden, resulting in modified soil profiles, topography and drainage.
Emissions –Cement manufacturing generates wastewater from the cooling of process equipment, which can contain pollutants such as dissolved and suspended solids. Emissions on land include solid waste, slurries, sediments, spills and leaks during the storage and distribution of liquids.
Penetron® may leach trace amounts of metals before hardening.
Physical – Cement manufacturing generates wastewater from the cooling of process equipment, which can contain pollutants such as dissolved and suspended solids. Emissions on land include solid waste, slurries, sediments, spills and leaks during the storage and distribution of liquids.
Penetron® may leach trace amounts of metals before hardening.
Greenhouse gas (GHG) – Cement manufacturing is GHG intensive. However the product contains Post Industrial Recycled Content (Glossary) minimising greenhouse gas emissions.
- The greenhouse intensity for Penetron® between 5.1-10.1kgCO2e /kg(22.7kg bag)
- The greenhouse intensity for Penetron® Admix™ is between 4-8.1kgCO2e /kg (18kg bag)
*Calculations do not include binding agents. Intensity figures used for constituents are a combination of specific and proxy data sourced from Bath University United Kingdom.
Transport intensity – Product is manufactured in the USA. GHG intensities for shipping product are shown below. Shipping port from country of origin is New York. Destination port is Cape Town.
- Greenhouse Intensity for Container Shipping ofPenetron Admix™ - 3.3kgCO2e/kg
- Greenhouse Intensity for Container Shipping of Penetron® - 4.2kgCO2e/kg
Table below provides land transportation greenhouse intensity figures to help calculate the greenhouse gas intensity of land transportation from shipping port.
Light commercial vehicle
0.001451kgCO2e / kg.km
0.000195kgCO2e / kg.km
0.000069kgCO2e / kg.km
Transport intensity figures sourced from Australian National Greenhouse Gas Inventory 1990, 1995 and 1999 and WWF International, Inland Navigations and Emissions, 2005.
Operational efficiency – Product does not require energy in its operational phase.
Re-use Efficiency –Product can be recycled as concrete aggregate.
Toxics and Pollutants – Not known.
Ozone Depletion – Product contains no CFCs or HCFCs.
Urban Heat Island Effects – Not Applicable
Noise – Not Applicable.
Silica is extracted through sand mining or open cut mining of hydrothermal veins and pegmatites. Sand, clay and limestone are also extracted through mining. These activities are characterized by high biodiversity impact processes. Mining leads to loss of biodiversity, modified soil/sand profiles, topography and drainage, which additionally impacts natural vegetation and surrounding biodiversity.
Product contains cement which primarily contains limestone and other mineral based materials such as sand, clay and shale. Sand, limestone, clay and shale are non-renewable but abundant resources.
Concrete containing Penetron® can be down cycled into concrete aggregate.
Embodied Fossil Fuel Energy
Transport intensity – Product is manufactured in the USA. Shipping port from country of origin is New York. Destination port is Cape Town.
- Energy Intensity for Container Shipping of Penetron® Admix™ – 30.1-60.3MJ per 18kg bag
- Energy Intensity for Container Shipping of Penetron® – 38.1-76MJ per 22.7kg bag
*Calculations do not include binding agents. Intensity figures used for constituents are a combination of specific and proxy data sourced from Bath University United Kingdom
Product is active for the life of the concrete structure.
Increases durability and life-span of concrete by 60 years or more
Damaged areas can be resealed.
Design for Dematerialisation
The primary component of the product is cementitious and may be recycled with the structural concrete as concrete aggregate.
Design for Disassembly
Product can be recycled as concrete aggregate.
The PENETRON system provides concrete with the capacity to self-heal micro-cracks up to 0.4 mm throughout its service life. No further treatment or maintenance is required.
Product Takeback Scheme
Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR)
CORPORATE AND SOCIAL SUSTAINABILITY
Audits and Environmental Reporting
Social Enhancement Programs
ICS Penetron International Ltd. is a major sponsor of Engineers without Borders USA, a worldwide initiative that has to date installed over 300 clean water systems in developing nations. ICS Penetron is also a major sponsor of the USA concrete canoe championship, an annual competition for undergraduate engineering students.
Technology Transfer Programs
Environmental Management Systems (EMS)
ECOSPECIFIER ISSUES OF CONCERN / RED LIGHT
Issues of Concern: None
Information last verified on 05 February 2020
Standard waterproofing membranes
Eco Priority Guide: Floor Surfaces